Riding the Scree

The rocks are tumbling all around me.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

[Deletia]

Re-learned a forgotten word today while rereading "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland: Deletia.

When you reply to an email and remove the bulk of the original message, apparently you should (or at least can) replace the deleted text with "deletia" in brackets. Maybe I'll start saying this word when I respond to people in conversation. ...Signify that their words have just passed through me and are gone. Their part of the conversation is just [deletia]. Like whatever I say in response.

In the Coupland's words, "it stands for everything that's been lost."

3 Comments:

Blogger Dedwarmo said...

Permit me to talk about memory. I just figure that my brain has limited memory capacity so I don't feel bad if I don't remember everything someone said. By the way, you look familiar. Do I know you?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Henry said...

i have a sneaking suspicion that there's secret supplimental storage throughout the human body. i can't prove it, but i'm pretty sure my elbows carry a lot of my emotional baggage.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Dedwarmo said...

[deletia]

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home